Sunday, August 16, 2009

Mike in Peru - 6 days and counting...

Wow, me writing a blog! It should hopefully be interesting and a chance to say on a regular (or semi-regular) basis of what's actually happening on my "Volunteer Vacation" this year. In 2009, my choice is Lima, Peru and a chance to see what Cross-Cultural Solutions is all about. From what I hear and read about CCS, they really know what they're doing in regards to organizing these types of expeditions. Lima was a choice of mine for a couple reasons. 1) It's on my list (just in my head, not an actual written list) of places to go to. 2) In recent volunteer vacations I've gone on, I find the total immersion into the local culture is what I really find enjoyable and scary-good at the same time. I've said to someone that the goal is not to be the ugly American, to pay attention to what's happening around me and above all, throw caution to the wind and dive in! CCS thrives on just that- immersing you in the local culture and then participating in it as well. and 3) A chance to see Machu Picchu! So these next few days, it's pack and then re-pack and then re-pack again most likely.... and hopefully a couple of updates. Cheers, Mike

3 comments:

  1. When do you leave? What will you be doing in Peru? I'm absolutely blown away that you're going to Machu Picchu. Take lots of picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Voluntourism type vacation with Cross-Cultural Solutions (CCS), out of New Rochelle, NY. I'll be working with elderly Peruvians and not really sure what exactly I'll be doing, but I like it that way. The Machu Picchu part is after CCS. I had to go being so close in the neighborhood! I'm bringing lots of memory! Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you had any guinea pig yet? And you're not old, you're cool and experienced.

    ReplyDelete